The Montgueux hill is located 10km away from Troyes in the southern region of Champagne. The vineyards are renowned for the typicity of the Chardonnay grapes. Facing South East the vines are planted on Upper Cretaceous chalk and clay. Hélène and Arnaud maintain a grass-cover between the vines. The age of these vineyards and the wine-making processes enables the production of generous, complex, and highly subtle wines.
Vines were first cultivated in the 12th century and almost disappeared at the end of the 1800s thanks to phylloxera. After the First World War, the Beaugrand family was the first to replant its hillsides. Montgueux acquired the Champagne appellation in 1927 and the first bottles were put on sale in 1930. The main street in Montgueux is named ‘Leon Beaugrand’ as a mark of respect for the Beaugrand family who pushed for AOC status in 1927.
Hélène and Arnaud Beaugrand are the grandchildren of an early winemaker. Hélène grew up in Troyes, and was educated in Burgundy also spending several years making wine in South Africa, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, and the United States. In 2008 she returned to the family estate to take over the winemaking. Her brother Arnaud looks after the manufacturing side of the domain.